Kyburz / Silverfork Highway 50 Cabins and Real Estate, South Lake Tahoe, CA
Kyburz was the location of a toll house located on the Placerville-Carson Road in the 19th century. The tollhouse was operated by Dick Yarnold. The present-day Kyburz Lodge was the location of the toll house.
In 1911, the post office was established and the community was named for the first postmaster, Albert Kyburz. Albert was the son of Samuel Kyburz, a Swiss native and prominent figure at Sutter’s Fort in Sacramento during the Gold Rush.
The obituary of Samuel Kyburz, as printed in January 1898, spells out his contributions to pioneer California:
Born in Swizerland [sic] 87 years ago … he brought with him to America the Stalwart manhood and sturdy virtues of his Alpine home. In 1846 he came with Sutter to California and was for many years thereafter, his confidential adviser and all ’round business manager. It was in this relation and capacity that he made the preliminary explorations for a mill site at or near the place where gold was discovered. Upon his report and following his advice, Sutter entered into a contract with Marshall to build the mill. Of this contract Kyburz was the inspiring genius and a subscribing witness and subject to its terms. Marshall went with his outfit to the place indicated. It was the site of the old Sutter Mill, at which gold was discovered.
Search All Kyburz Highway 50 Cabins and Real Estate For Sale:
Kyburz Highway 50 Cabins and Homes For Sale
A few hundred yards west of Kyburz is the tiny community of Silverfork, named for the so-called “silver fork” of the neighboring American River. Today, Silverfork provides a few roadside businesses.
Search All Silverfork Highway 50 Cabins and Real Estate For Sale:
Silverfork Highway 50 Cabins and Homes For Sale.
Kyburz Homes for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.